Running with the Demon (Word & Void, #1)Running with the Demon by Terry Brooks
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Now that was just what I needed. After reading a pretentious spewing of literary "greatness", I needed something that I could actually enjoy. And enjoy it I did, more than I expected to.

I've been reading Brooks for years. When I was ten years old, I read his only book at the time, The Sword of Shannara. I remember liking it a lot and being really annoyed that he didn't have anymore books out. When Elfstones of Shannara came out a few years later, I was enthralled; it was even better.

I got side-tracked awhile later and fell behind, but in recent years my stepdaughter has helped me get back on track. She's a huge Brooks fan, devouring each new book as it comes out. So I've borrowed some of her books and worked on getting caught up.

This was incredible. I was actually surprised at how much I liked it. I was wanting to find my comfort zone, and knew that Brooks was safe. That is, I'd enjoy the book and feel normal again, reading a book with enjoyable story and not something that some haughty author is trying to impress me with. But this book exceeded my expectations.

It was like Elfstones, only set in the modern world. I love the blending of majic and reality and...so much more. I don't want to spoil anything, as the discovery was half the enjoyment.

So next up, without question, is A Knight of the Word.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Things Get Ugly: The Best Crime Fiction of Joe R. Lansdale

Review: Biography of a Phantom: A Robert Johnson Blues Odyssey

Review: Bookshops & Bonedust