#PrayForClaire

I know a lot of people have become desensitized to the bad shit that happens in our world, and in our country every day. I have, I admit it.

"Oh crap, another school shooting. That sucks." *clicks -back- to return to Justin Bieber gossip*

Yeah, I get it. No one likes to think about this shit. It's far away, happening to people I'll never know. It's sad, but wtf can I do about it?

Maybe not a damn thing. But then, if one special person can be touched by a little effort, a few clicks of a mouse, why not go for it?

I don't even know who I hope to touch with this, or what. Maybe I'll get nothing out of it but a place to express it all. And maybe that's enough.

Last Friday, a young lady was critically wounded at Arapahoe High School in Centennial, Colorado. Some of the students live in Littleton as well. That's a place y'all might have heard of.

It was another school shooting. Hell, it was another school shooting in Colorado. Desensitization begins, or does it? Not for me.

I live in Georgia now, but I spent a good chunk of my childhood/early adult life in Aurora, Colorado. My parents and two brothers, plus a young nephew and two nieces all live in Aurora still. I went to Smoky Hill High School and graduated in 1985.

During my senior year, I really followed our football team, attending nearly all of the games. One of these was an away game at Arapahoe High School, and I still remember that trip. (We also played Columbine that season, but it was at a neutral site in the playoffs)

So yeah, I know this community. I had a job after high school that sometimes took me in these areas. Columbine hit me pretty hard in 1999. Arapahoe hit me Friday.

Claire Davis is the 17 year old senior that's still in critical condition at a Littleton hospital. She suffered severe head trauma and is in a coma, though she is currently in stable condition.

A wave of love and compassion has spread over the internet for her, and for the community she's a part of. For the other kids that go to that school, as they deal with the tragedy and try to focus on studying for final exams.

If you've read this far, I'll ask one more thing of you. Pray for Claire's recovery. If you don't pray, think a nice thought. Hug your children. Love your daughters and sons. Let them know it.

And if you would like to light a candle for Claire, by all means.

Follow on Twitter for a little bit. It will touch your heart if you just watch the posts as they scroll by.

#PrayForClaire

#ArapahoeStrong
#ColoradoStrong
#get1Dtoclaire
#ArapahoeHighSchool
#WarriorStrong
#PrayersForArapahoe

I'll be posting more on this. This is why I haven't been reading much. This is why I haven't watched much. This is why I ignored football all weekend. If I get on your nerves, at least this is a place you don't have to look.

But I hope some of you will....

tl;dr version: #PrayForClaire

Comments

  1. I don't twitter but <3 thoughts and prayers yes. Thanks for sharing... M.A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this hon..., will definitely keep her in prayer

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Things Get Ugly: The Best Crime Fiction of Joe R. Lansdale

Review: Biography of a Phantom: A Robert Johnson Blues Odyssey

Review: Bookshops & Bonedust