Review: Arctic Wings

Arctic WingsArctic Wings by L. Ron Hubbard
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I won a copy of this audiobook in the First Reads program on Good Reads.

Here's another Golden Age action/adventure from L. Ron Hubbard, this one set in the Canadian wilderness. This time, our hero is an aviator, but like the other Hubbard heroes, he gets into one tough situation after another and finds a way to handle himself.

While I did enjoy the fast pace typical to Hubbard's early work, I didn't care for the overall story as much as others I've read. The narrators and sound effects were very good, keeping me interested for the couple of hours it took to listen. I don't think I would have been as compelled to push through if I'd been reading a physical or ebook copy of this one. It's a well told story, but the characters just fell a bit flat. Hubbard's pulp era characters tend to be a bit stereotypical as it is, but usually he's got one or two that I can root for. Here, not so much. My favorite characters here were the airplane noises.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Biography of a Phantom: A Robert Johnson Blues Odyssey

Review: Things Get Ugly: The Best Crime Fiction of Joe R. Lansdale

Review: Bookshops & Bonedust