Review: Murder Mysteries by Not-Gaiman

Murder MysteriesMurder Mysteries by Neil Gaiman
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I received a copy of this ebook from NetGalley.

This was...interesting. It seemed familiar, and I finally realized it had originally been published as a Gaiman short story in one of his collections.

Though, it seemed like it was better as a Gaiman story. This seemed more like an adaptation of a Gaiman story. That is, one of his stories that got adapted by someone who is Not-Gaiman. I believe that is the case, though Gaiman's name is on the cover.

So it brings up one question. First, why does Gaiman need someone else to adapt his stories into comics? Ummm. Sandman ring any bells? Neil Gaiman does comics. He does them well. He always has. Don't fix something that isn't broken.

The art was pretty meh in this. And wouldn't you know it, it turns out the same guy that's Not-Gaiman is also Not-Dave-McKean. Yes, he adapted the story and was the artist. Way to get the double-tap on that one, P. Craig Russell. As I look it up, I see that he's adapted other Gaiman stories into graphic novels too. Wow. Hold me back.

The story ended up falling flat and rather boring. Not horrible, but it did not have that magic Gaiman is known for. This wasn't bad, it just wasn't all that good. And it certainly wasn't Gaiman.

Oh yes. I'm aware that I keep saying "Gaiman" in my review. You might even say there's more "Gaiman" in this review than there is in the graphic novel I'm reviewing.

At least I'm not making people think Gaiman wrote this review...


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Things Get Ugly: The Best Crime Fiction of Joe R. Lansdale

Review: Biography of a Phantom: A Robert Johnson Blues Odyssey

Review: Bookshops & Bonedust