Review: Re-read of The Magicians (on Audio)

The Magicians (The Magicians, #1)The Magicians by Lev Grossman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Original review of the paperback, in 2011: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

And the funny thing, I'm lifting my rating to 5-stars. It's not even that I enjoyed it more the second time around (though I did enjoy the narrator quite a bit). No, it's more for the way the feeling of satisfaction remains three years later.

This felt different the second time through. I didn't find it quite as humorous, but I didn't find it as bleak either. I found the characters more likeable. That is rather, less un-likeable. It's not that I understand them any better, I think I'm just more accepting that this is simply who they're going to be.

Fewer surprises on a re-read, but it's still a satisfactory experience. It's like watching an old favorite movie. I'm glad that I decided to read it again, before tackling The Magician's Land, which just came out this year.

Next up, The Magician King re-read. Though I won't be doing that one with audio.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Things Get Ugly: The Best Crime Fiction of Joe R. Lansdale

Review: Biography of a Phantom: A Robert Johnson Blues Odyssey

Review: Bookshops & Bonedust