Review: The Goldfinch


The Goldfinch
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



4.5 stars. It might be surprising that I rate this book so high after it took me 3 1/2 months to get through it. Well, I wasn't intending to speed through it. This was a slow cook meal of a book that I read in small pieces over this time. It was always something comfortable to go back to if I read something I didn't care for, as well as a steadying read if I read something I really liked.

So it served its purpose. I can see why it won the Pulitzer. Though I haven't had a huge amount of luck getting into the award winners, this one carried me along nicely. It reminded me a bit of Empire Falls by Richard Russo in that manner. The story was quite different, but it had that long simmering feel of a story along with great character development. With books like these, the plot almost doesn't matter; it just needs to get us into the heads of the characters.

Donna Tartt is certainly on my radar now.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Things Get Ugly: The Best Crime Fiction of Joe R. Lansdale

Review: Biography of a Phantom: A Robert Johnson Blues Odyssey

Review: Bookshops & Bonedust