Review: A Betrayal in Winter

A Betrayal in Winter (Long Price Quartet, #2)A Betrayal in Winter by Daniel Abraham
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4.5 stars.

And I rounded down? Well, it was closer to 4 than 5, but still more than a run of the mill 4. So there we are.

Despite a similar rating, I found this book to be much more enjoyable than the first in the series. Where Abraham was getting his footing in A Shadow in Summer, his voice was firmly established and comfortable here. His unique portrayal of body language had characters using poses to substitute for excessive words (like I wish I could have done with that sentence). In the first book, this was intriguing but I remember it become a bit overdone, tiresome by the end. Here, the poses were executed perfectly and had the exact effect needed.

Abraham had some great intrigue going on with this novel, and though it reached a satisfying conclusion, he set the stage for further books. Which I'm pleased to say are available now for me to continue with.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Biography of a Phantom: A Robert Johnson Blues Odyssey

Review: Things Get Ugly: The Best Crime Fiction of Joe R. Lansdale

Review: Bookshops & Bonedust