Review: Dark Places

Dark PlacesDark Places by Gillian Flynn
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Wow. Another mindfuq from Gillian Flynn. I see a theme in the making.

I think I still liked Gone Girl a little better, but not by much. This had some really interesting developments too. I probably liked the character set a bit better in this one, though to say I like any actual Flynn characters might be a stretch. Some I thought I liked, but eventually decided they were fucked up.

Some characters I loathed though, which didn't really happen as much in Gone Girl. I really hated Runner and Deondra with the heat of a thousand hells. I haven't loathed characters like this in some time.

And when I say I hated the characters, I mean that I hated the actual characters. I love how they were written. I'm supposed to hate those two, and Flynn did a really good job making me loathe them.

So yes, after two of her books that what I think Flynn specializes in: well written good characters that make good story but that I wouldn't like at all in real life.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Things Get Ugly: The Best Crime Fiction of Joe R. Lansdale

Review: Biography of a Phantom: A Robert Johnson Blues Odyssey

Review: Bookshops & Bonedust