Review: Hood

Hood Hood by Stephen R. Lawhead
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

DNF'd at 35%. I'm just not feeling this. The story is decent enough and I love the idea of a gritty, realistic, Welsh Robin Hood. The execution is just falling flat, and there's too much out there I want to read to continue reading a book I don't care about.

There's something off about this writing. While I wouldn't necessarily call it bad, it feels forced. Like the author is making a conscious effort to "dumb down" his narrative to make it YA. It ends up reading about as flat as a poorly done translation from a foreign language.

So yeah, I don't think this fails because it is YA. I think it fails because the author isn't writing YA well. I have no idea how his writing is for his "adult" books, but this didn't give me a lot of incentive to try any.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Things Get Ugly: The Best Crime Fiction of Joe R. Lansdale

Review: Biography of a Phantom: A Robert Johnson Blues Odyssey

Review: Bookshops & Bonedust