Review: Vicious Circle

Vicious Circle Vicious Circle by Mike Carey
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3.5 stars.

For real it took me a month to read this book?

Well, it's mostly my fault. I've been slapped with a pretty severe reading slump, and that had nothing to do with this.

That said, my rounded-down rating does reflect some on that situation. While this book didn't cause my reading slump, it didn't really help me pull out of it. The story was excellent, and on par with the first book in the series. I really enjoyed the plot and the characters, and everything tied together nicely.

For me it was the pacing that was an issue. It wasn't enough to be a deal-breaker, but it did get in the way of my enjoyment. It seems that whenever the action really started to heat up, Carey has this habit of describe describe describe that completely takes me out of the sequence. If you have a fast paced scene, your narrative should match it. Just sayin'.

All in all, I am enjoying this series. I will likely pick back up with Book 3 soon, but for the nonce I'm going to take a break and find something that will help me get back on my personal reading track.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Things Get Ugly: The Best Crime Fiction of Joe R. Lansdale

Review: Biography of a Phantom: A Robert Johnson Blues Odyssey

Review: Bookshops & Bonedust