Review: The White Tower

The White Tower The White Tower by Michael Wisehart
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3 1/2 stars. If you like big, meaty, epic fantasies, this could be just what you're looking for.

I wanted to rate it higher, as I really enjoyed this one. But where it scratched the surface of being something great, it never really got there. As a first book in a series, I don't have any worries that the overall story will click into place and be satisfying, but at this stage in the game I find myself wanting more. That is a good thing too, as I'm intrigued enough to want to continue...

The execution was pretty good and the characters were interesting. It just felt a bit long winded at times and I did get confused by the sheer volume of characters and side stories going on. Still, I'm looking forward to the second book, and to the side/prequel series that's already been started.

I will also add here that the audio as read by Tim Gerard Reynolds makes the story more enjoyable, helping the length of it not seem so daunting. He's definitely one of my favorite narrators, and getting him signed on for this book was a great decision.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Things Get Ugly: The Best Crime Fiction of Joe R. Lansdale

Review: Biography of a Phantom: A Robert Johnson Blues Odyssey

Review: Bookshops & Bonedust