Review: Pick Up the Pieces: Excursions in Seventies Music

Pick Up the Pieces: Excursions in Seventies Music Pick Up the Pieces: Excursions in Seventies Music by John Corbett
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I received an eARC of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.

Sometimes I like to just throw a music memoir into the mix as they give great perspective of the journey of life with great music as a backdrop.

I did get that here, though to be honest I had to skip some sections. I was reading it all for the first quarter but found myself mired when the author was covering artists I wasn't familiar with. Ideally, the writing would make me want to go out and find the material and give it a listen. But that didn't always work here. Sometimes I think the author just got too heavy handed with the descriptive words and cultural references that I didn't often get.

That said, there were some great moments here, especially in the areas where an artist I listen to was covered. These would take me back to a time when it was all new to me, much like it was for the author.

So yeah, great sections and some areas where my eyes glazed over. But all in all a fun experience...

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Things Get Ugly: The Best Crime Fiction of Joe R. Lansdale

Review: Biography of a Phantom: A Robert Johnson Blues Odyssey

Review: Bookshops & Bonedust