Review: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe


The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



A fantasy classic!

Well, that's original. But hey, it's accurate. This was my second or third readin, as I read it during my grade school years.

What's changed? I've changed (gotten older) so I wondered if this book would hold the magic it'd had when I was a kid. Since I read much more epic and complex books now, I was concerned.

But I need not have feared. While the "fairy tale" style of the book stands out now more than it had in my memory, it was still a very enjoyable story. The fairy taleness of it actually covered some of the flaws I might have pointed out had it been written in a more "mature" narrative. As it was, the style worked very well for the story being told.

A friend of mine also reading the series said that it "felt like coming home". That was such a beautiful statement, and felt true. Thanks for sharing that thought, Emily.

Had this been a new read, I probably would have settled my rating in at a solid 3-stars, but it gets an extra one for the wonderful memories it's provided over the years.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Things Get Ugly: The Best Crime Fiction of Joe R. Lansdale

Review: Biography of a Phantom: A Robert Johnson Blues Odyssey

Review: Bookshops & Bonedust