Review: Max Brooks' The Extinction Parade, Volume 1


Max Brooks' The Extinction Parade, Volume 1
Max Brooks' The Extinction Parade, Volume 1 by Max Brooks

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I got this eARC free from NetGalley.

Oh yes, I wanted to love this. I saw Max Brooks at a signing last year, and he had these little promo cards with The Extinction Parade cover art on them, which he signed. He told us the concept behind the story, a rather unique take on the zombie apocalypse. Wow, I was psyched and ready to dive in!

I was a little let down. I mean, the art is fantastic, and I still love the concept. Plus, the vampires don't suck. Well, I mean they do, but no more than they're supposed to.

Lots of buildup. Lots of ambiance and mood setting. So, I'm ready to see some kick ass stuff, and then it ends. I guess we'll have to wait until Volume 2 to see where this is going, eh?

That's cool. I'll check it out. I'm intrigued.

EDIT 5/9/14: After posting this review, I found out that what I had read was in fact half of the upcoming graphic novel. Where I thought it was issues 1-5, it seems it was only 1-3. Yes, this is clearly indicated on the NetGalley site, but I tend to avoid reading blurbs too carefully, for fear of spoilers.

That said, my review stands as rated. Sadly, I probably would have rated it higher had I been able to get the whole story (at least through the first story arc) rather than a sample. I was left hanging without closure, so my rating reflects that. Hopefully I'll get a chance to read the whole thing at some point.

Note to the publisher: Samples won't get you the best reviews for your product. If a reviewer is willing to spend the time reading and reviewing your books, you should make the whole thing available for them to properly grade the entire work.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Things Get Ugly: The Best Crime Fiction of Joe R. Lansdale

Review: Biography of a Phantom: A Robert Johnson Blues Odyssey

Review: Bookshops & Bonedust