Review: Bird Box

Bird BoxBird Box by Josh Malerman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Wow. Just wow.

Well, more than "just".

When I started this, I was immediately confuzzled and didn't see where it was going, what was happening, nor why any of it was happening in the first place. I was concerned that it might not be a book for me.

However, there was a thread of curiosity which piqued, a thread that was created by the tension described in that chapter. I was blind, but I could feel the horror already. Much like the main character, I imagine.

So I kept going, and soon I was well and hooked. Only real life (that annoying thing sometimes) kept me from flying through this book obsessively.

I won't go into the particulars, as it's meant to be learned gradually. And rest assured, all the pieces and threads do come together. It's rather impressive how it all merges from a series of timelines to a single thread.

I considered giving this a full 5-star review, but didn't for two reasons. One, though I didn't dislike the ending, it could have been better considering how good it was to that point. And two, the suspense and not-knowing is a big part of the effect, and I don't think a re-read would be able to capture that. Much like The Blair Witch Project, once you know how it plays out, most of the tension is gone. To me, a 5-star book is one you'd want to revisit a few times.

But that said, this is a great thrill-ride. If you like a quick paced freaky scare, it's a good one to pick up. It'll stay in your mind for a little while too, so be warned. You might not want to read this too close to bedtime. Or any open windows.....



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Things Get Ugly: The Best Crime Fiction of Joe R. Lansdale

Review: Biography of a Phantom: A Robert Johnson Blues Odyssey

Review: Bookshops & Bonedust