Review: Dangerous Women

Dangerous WomenDangerous Women by George R.R. Martin
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Well then. This took me a long ass time to get through (5 months). To be fair, for most of that time I had it on the back burner, slipping a story in here and there between larger projects. I bought the hardcover, but ended up listening to it on audiobook because that fit my schedule better.

So overall, I liked it. It was full of solid, well written stories. I don't think there was a bad one in the bunch. However, while I would say they were "good", many of these were fairly boring. Worth a read through, but not engaging enough to make me love it. After reading similar anthologies with contributions and/or editing from George R.R. Martin, I had high hopes for this, and it just didn't satisfy completely.

Though I will say that the GRRM story included is one of the best things I've read all year. It has a much different tone than his A Song of Ice and Fire novels, or even the shorter Dunk & Egg stories. It's set in the history of these others and has a tone more like The Silmarillion. But it worked very well for me, fitting into the Westeros canon perfectly.

I also loved the stories by Jim Butcher and Joe Abercrombie. Great additions to their respective series as well. Honorable mention to Lawrence Block, Megan Lindholm (Robin Hobb), Carrie Vaughn, Lev Grossman, and Joe R. Lansdale. See my status updates that I posted while reading for comments (brief) on each story: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Things Get Ugly: The Best Crime Fiction of Joe R. Lansdale

Review: Biography of a Phantom: A Robert Johnson Blues Odyssey

Review: Bookshops & Bonedust