Review: The Masquerade by Rebecca Berto

The Masquerade: a prequel short to The RentalThe Masquerade: a prequel short to The Rental by Rebecca Berto
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Having read The Rental and seeing that this short prequel was free on Amazon and Smashwords, I figured I'd go for it.

This story was split into halves. The first is from the POV of Rick, and the second half is seen from Vee's POV. She's the point of view character in The Rental, so this might be a case where the prequel is more appreciated after reading the main novel. Readers that take this on first might be expecting Rick's perspective in the longer work, where prior readers will see it as an interesting twist to get his view firsthand in this story.

I wondered how Berto would handle the age thing in this. In The Rental, Vee is just turning legal. So a prequel would put her at...not. But it's handled very creatively here. Fairly wickedly, I must say. And that's all I'll say on the matter...

So either as an appetizer or a small dessert, this little story will give a taste of things to...happen. Enjoy.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Biography of a Phantom: A Robert Johnson Blues Odyssey

Review: Things Get Ugly: The Best Crime Fiction of Joe R. Lansdale

Review: Bookshops & Bonedust