Review: Mistletoe & Magic: A YA Books Central Holiday Anthology

Mistletoe & Magic: A YA Books Central Holiday Anthology Mistletoe & Magic: A YA Books Central Holiday Anthology by Melissa A. Craven
My rating: 0 of 5 stars

So far I've only read the story by Angela N. Blount, titled "Young Saint Nicholas". I picked this up as this author is a friend of mine, and I am a huge fan of her work. Yes, I know I just said she was a friend so there might be some bias, but trust me this lady can write compelling stories. I've read everything she has published (and even one that hasn't ;)) and I'd be a fan even if I hadn't met her on Goodreads.

That said, this particular story is wonderful. It's quite different from other work Blount has published, but it doesn't suffer for that. This is a story of a future otherworld version of Saint Nick. I understand that it is a glimpse into his world and that there is much more to come later. As a taste, this was fantastic. It was enough to enjoy for the moment, yet make certain that I will scoop up any further stories or novels set in this world.

It didn't feel overly "YA"ish, though it would certainly appeal to a young crowd. It didn't feel exclusive to that audience though, which is a good quality of well written YA. A good story is a good story, regardless of genre. Angela N. Blount has hammered home that theory with each work of hers that I've read, and I'd be excited to try anything she puts out there in the future (pun was intended).

For the rest of the book, I will give it a shot. I'm not familiar with any of the other authors, but if this story is indication, it's a quality anthology.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Things Get Ugly: The Best Crime Fiction of Joe R. Lansdale

Review: Bookshops & Bonedust

Review: Biography of a Phantom: A Robert Johnson Blues Odyssey